Hunt recorded the name for this rock as Maranobbing during his 1864 Exploration Eastward of York in his fieldbook and on various Exploration Plans. He also recorded Maranabbing, Marenabing, Maranobbine, Marranobbing Rock and Spring.
In 1871 Alex Forrest recorded Morannupping as the Homestead of MrLeake and then in 1872 rendered it as Moranupping Spring and Well and Mooranupping Spring.
Their attempts at rendering the aboriginal pronunciation of the word into English eventually resolved to Mooranoppin.
Mooranoppin Well is stone lined on three sides and is more of a large soak than a well. It’s located to the south of Goldfields Road, west of Jureen Rocks and is along a lane between paddocks.
There is no specific evidence in any of Hunt’s diaries that his team developed the native well at Mooranoppin although the amount of time spent there and the number of times it was used as a stopping place when Hunt or the party had to fall back would suggest that it was.